Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Gary Farrell 2003 Chardonnay- Star Ridge Vineyards

Origin: Russian River Valley

Nose: Granny Smith Apple, pear and Oak

Taste: Apple, Toast, Oak, Nuttyness

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied

Finish: Medium in length and buttery

Megan and I picked this up last year in Sonoma in the Russian River Valley. Gary Farrell winery sits up on a hill and offers great view of the valley if it isn't foggy like it was the day we were there. Stil, it isl a very nice winery and if I recall the winery staff were very pleasant. This wine itself was very one dimensional, apple, apple, apple! I probably wouldn't have been disappointed if wasn't a $40.00 wine, but the flavors weren't layered very well and the nose was pure Granny Smith. I didn't remember much about the wine prior to opening it last night, but I am sure our tasting was better since we chalked up the $40.00. I have heard great things about Gary Farrell so I won't not try his other wines, but I probably won't drink this one again. (Which I probably couldn't anyway because I think they are sold out, haha)

2 comments:

Dezel Quillen said...

Hi John,

That has happened to me once or twice in the past where something I had at a tasting tasted totally different after I purchased the bottle and opened it at home at a later date. Not certain if it was the temperature or the amount of time the wine was left open, but it happens to the best of us (lol). Next time I enjoy something at the winery that I consider pricey, prior to purchase I will ask if it was a bottle just opened and the ideal serving temperature.

Have a great weekend.

Happy Sipping!

Dezel

Michael, CEO FohBoh said...

It's not bad, it's just priced poorly. I like it very cold, seems to smooth out the rough edges a bit. I'll buy it again on sale.